FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

  1. What is Polybutylene piping? Polybutylene piping, or Poly-B for short, is a flexible plastic supply plumbing material that was in use in home construction between 1978 and 1995. Poly-B can be identified by its light grey colour and the permanent markings on the tubing. As a cheaper and easier-to-use alternative to copper, Poly-B was installed in over 6 million American, and over 700.000 Canadian homes.   
  2. What is the issue? Poly-B piping can deteriorate and fail, when exposed to extreme heat, very hot water and where water has high chlorine levels. Chlorine levels in Canada are much lower than those in the United States. · Poly-B is permeable to oxygen. Poly-B used in circulating hot water loops is prone to deliver oxidized water which can be very hard on water heaters and boiler and drastically shorten their life. · When exposed to sunlight for an extended amount of time, Poly-B piping can break down.
  3. What can I do to make the best of my poly-B? 

  • Check all visible joints for leaks or cracks and ensure they are copper or brass, rather than plastic.
  • Ensure your home water pressure is between 40 – 60 psi.
  • If you live in an area with very high chlorine levels, consider installing a water filter close to where the water enters the home.
  • If your Poly-B only distributes hot and cold water throughout the house set your hot water tank to about 50-54 oC(125 – 130F) 
  • If Poly-B is used in a circulating hot water loop have the system assessed for possible corrosion.
  • Ensure no Poly-B pipe is connected directly to a hot water heater.

4. Keep carbon monoxide out of your home 

Carbon monoxide is a harmful gas that has no colour, smell or taste. It forms whenever you burn fuel such as propane, natural gas, gasoline. If furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves or water heaters are improperly installed, or if they malfunction, they can release co into your home. 


What are the health effects: when you breathe in CO, it reduces your body’s ability to carry oxygen in the blood? It causes you headache and make you feel tired. At the higher level it can lead to death. 

How do I know if I have a problem?

  • Make sure appliances such as furnaces, fireplaces, gas stoves and water heaters are well maintained and inspected by a professional at least once a year.
  • Put at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. The most important place to install a detector is in hallways, outside of sleeping areas. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s suggestions on installation and usage of the detector. Make a replacement when it needs. 
  • Never use a BBQ indoors.  
  • Don’t let vehicles idle in the garage, even when the garage door is open. 
  • Never run gas-powered lawnmowers, trimmers, snow blowers or other machines in the garage. Keep the door between your house and the garage closed.